Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology
Download Information for B.S. Degree
The B.S. in Kinesiology is a broad-based program offering students training in the multiple sub-disciplines of Kinesiology (Biomechanics, Exercise Physiology, Health, Motor Behavior, and Sport and Exercise Psychology/Sociology). The curriculum and coursework is designed to prepare students to be leaders in the fields of physical activity, health, and disease prevention and treatment.
All undergraduate students will complete a common curriculum that incorporates the scientific and clinical knowledge of exercise science, health promotion and nutrition as applied in preventative, clinical, commercial fitness, public health and educational settings. Students can then choose to follow one of three concentrations that are designed to meet eligibility for pursuing certification in different areas – a) exercise science, b) health promotion and c) sport science concentration
General Questions about the B. S. program may be addressed to Dr. Kris Jankovitz email: email@example.com
Program Learning Objectives
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the natural sciences within kinesiology, biomechanics, exercise physiology, motor behavior, and health.
2. Demonstrate knowledge of the social sciences within
kinesiology, sociology, psychology, community health, and health promotion.
3. Understand and apply the principles of quantitative and qualitative research to the study and practice of human performance, physical activity, and health.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of diversity, social justice, and inclusion as it relates to physical activity and health.
5. Demonstrate proficiency in critical thinking, written and oral communication.
Bachelor of Science in Public Health
BS Public Health
The BS in Public Health at Cal Poly will provide students with the best of the Learn by Doing philosophy with knowledge, skills, and experiences necessary to meet current public health challenges to promote health and prevent disease. The program offers a broad foundation in multiple areas of public health, that include opportunities for hands-on application of in classes, field experience, and through undergraduate research opportunities where students collaborate with faculty on research projects.
Community and Public Health, Culture and Society in Health Science, Physical Activity in Public Health and Worksite and University Health Promotion.
The degree program aligns with the criteria approved by the Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health for undergraduate programs in Public Health (aspph.org). The curriculum prepares students to meet the professional practices standards as developed by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC.org) to qualify for the certification exam for Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES). The BS in Public Health can be a springboard to graduate programs such as the Masters in Public Health and allied health professions such as Nursing, Physician’s Assistant, Occupational Therapy, etc. General questions about the BS in Public Health may be addressed to Dr. Kris Jankovitz at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Learning Objectives
- Identify and apply the scientific evidence base of human health and disease, and of public health to design programs and services that improve health outcomes.
- Apply the basic concepts, methods and tools of public health data collection and analysis to monitor health status and understand factors that influence health outcomes at the local, state, national and global levels.
- Provide information using a variety of communication strategies to facilitate the adoption of healthy behavior.
- Develop, evaluate and improve programs and services to improve health outcomes at all levels of the social ecological model.
- Apply interdisciplinary and community based approaches to improve health outcomes.
- Develop and advocate for public health policies and plans to promote and protect the health of individuals, families, and communities.
- Examine the legal, ethical and economic dimensions of health care and public health policies, the roles and responsibilities of local, state and federal agencies and their influence on health outcomes.
- Examine the history and philosophy, core functions and the value of public health across the globe and in society.
- Appraise the socio-economic, behavioral, biological, environmental, and other factors that impact human health and contribute to health disparities.